Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Hashtag Smile

Remember the song, "You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile" from Annie?  Lately that song has been popping into my head more and more. I find a lot of truth into it, especially in this increasingly introvert world, where communication is mostly electronic and earbuds take the place of random conversation.

It makes me wonder if people, such as myself, find it more difficult now, than in previous generations, to handle anxiety and mental illness because as a society we see face to face interaction negatively. I try to be social. I am outgoing, do well meeting new people, and can hold my own at a party when I am the "plus 1" and don't know a soul there. A social butterfly, you might say.

So, if that is the case, why do I always find it preferable to stay home with my phone as the only connection to the outside world? Well, people mostly. The number one thing I noticed is that there are less smiles.  Surely it cannot be because we are all adults and soured by a life of responsibility. Is the state of the nation so poor that we are all sinking into despair? Who knows; not me, that is for sure.

Growing up in a retail environment, a smile was never more important. It made the customer feel welcome, made you approachable. Even in normal activities, flashing a smile can mean that you are acknowledging a person, an act of kindness or acceptance. While I think customer service is back on an up swing, it is still not where it was 20 years ago (yes, I am old enough to say that).

As it turns out, I smile naturally most of the time. I am a regular sparkling ray of sunshine when I am comfortable, or at least faking it, in public. When I am not, people tend to notice.

Recently I made a connection to my swing from "life of the party" to "prefer my couch."  Meds. Yep, my medication. I am stable-ish, my manic episodes have decreased and I don't sit in a hypo-manic state for extended amounts of time anymore. The plus is that I don't sit in depressive states for days to weeks at a time either.

The negative is that I have less energy (motivation) to go out in public. I don't mind walking in the park with a friend, but to go to a party, even Pampered Chef, is a bit much for me. As a matter of fact, anything more than three people is a lot for me. Going to work everyday, even with liking the job, can be hell. Knowing there will be an office, store, or warehouse full of other people that may want to interact. If they don't want to interact, I feel like a social pariah and my mind takes over, telling me that they are talking about me among themselves.

The result is that I have to either sparkle, or hide in my cube. Hiding in my cube means I can get a lot of work done, as long as I can focus. Sparkling means I need to be around people to engage. Too much sparkle can lead to mania, too much hiding can lead to depression. What a crazy see-saw! But the meds help and I have a great support network. 

This brings me back to the ever important smile. I have found that no matter what state I am in, a simple smile can enhance a situation by allowing me more control. When you smile, no one asks you what is wrong, people also feel more comfortable around you and can lead to a positive conversation starting. It also makes me feel good, even a sad or nervous smile.

Your smile could help other people too; they are contagious.  It could help make a person's day, maybe in a way you never imagined.

#smile

No comments:

Post a Comment