Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Meds & Shrinks

Some days you are a bright flower,
others, you are wilting away.
I am so tired all of a sudden, the energy and motivation I had a half hour ago is just gone. I am lying here in bed, under the covers, trying to motivate myself to get up and do something. This post is my compromise.

I keep saying I am going to add some useful content to my posts, offer more information about bipolar disorder, but I just cannot seem to get my focus together. I think that is because of a couple things, the first being my living situation, and the second being my meds.

I had wanted to do a couple posts about medication and treatment because, well, they are important. I am not going to lie, it is a roller coaster trying to find the right medication or combination of medications and then dosage on top of that. It is kind of scary in a way; I had an allergic reaction to the very first one I tried and that threw me into a mania that resulted in me crying on a closet floor at work with a rash all over both arms.  

Not all people need medication and some will not function without it. It is also not a fix all. I happen to do well on medication and monthly med-check visits with my doctor. I have seen a therapist in the past, and have really benefited from the experience and am currently thinking of starting again. I just tend to not like most of them, so it takes me a while to find one I trust enough to pour my heart out too. And you know what? That is okay! It is okay to not like a therapist or doctor, just move on to the next one! Just ask yourself first, if you really do not like the level of care/treatment they provide, or do you just not like what they have to say because you think they are pompous?

I have been through a handful of therapists, but only on my second psychiatrist. Sometimes you hit gold, sometimes just dirt. A psychiatrist can prescribe medication, and due to a high demand and short supply, usually end up just doing med-check visits, while a therapist helps you sort out your thoughts. That is why a lot of people see both.

It is always a good idea to see your primary care physician to rule out any other health issues. Mine ran a full range of tests and gave me some questions to answer before referring me to a mental health provider. That was my second step, the first was realizing/admitting there was something wrong, things needed to change, I needed help on a professional level.

If you feel you cannot afford treatment, please contact your local Health and Human Services Department for low-income/no insurance options!

No comments:

Post a Comment